65g unsalted butter, softened
140g dark muscovado sugar
1 large egg
100g plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp baking powder
20ml Ribena or other blackcurrant cordial
50g dark chocolate chips
125g mascarpone cheese
65g icing sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180ºC / Gas 4. Grease a 12 hole mini muân tray with butter.
2. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat with a handheld electric whisk until soft and fluffy. Beat in the egg until evenly combined.
3. Add the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and beat briefly until well incorporated. Now add the blackcurrant cordial and chocolate chips and mix well. Finally stir in the Guinness.
4. Divide the mixture between the mini muân moulds and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the mini muâns are well risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of each one and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the topping, beat the mascarpone and icing sugar together in a bowl with a wooden spoon until smooth. Spread on top of the muffins with a small palette knife.