500g Plain flour
250g Butter cut into cubes
4-5 tbsp ice cold water or milk
3 cooking apples
2 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 tbsp Corn flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 Medium free range egg beaten
250g Mince pie filling
1. To make the pastry pour the flour into a large mixing bowl, then add the butter
Using your finger tips rub the butter into the flour to create a texture similar to
2. Add the cold water a little at a time and using a metal spoon stir together until it forms a ball of dough.
3. Transfer the pastry to a lightly floured work surface and knead together for 20
4. Place the pastry into the fridge for 20 minutes to rest. Meanwhile peel the apples and remove the core, then slice into 1/2cm slices.
5. Place the sliced apples into a mixing bowl with the cinnamon, sugar and corn flour.
6. To the apples together and put to one side.
7. Cut the pastry into two portions, one a 2/3’s and the other 1/3’s
8. Roll the out the larger portion of pastry and line a fluted pie dish.
9. Spread the mince pie filling out on the base and top with the sliced apples.
10. Roll out the remaining pastry to approximately 1/2cm thick, then cut into 1cm strips.
11. Brush the pie with beaten egg and lay the strips of pastry on top to create a lattice.
12. Trim the excess pastry and brush the top with the remaining beaten egg.
13. Bake in a pre heated oven 170c for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crisp.