Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
Tired of tofu? Bored of bland vegetables? Are you one carrot away from packing it all in? Then this vegan baked mac and cheese will definitely hit the spot - vegan doesn't have to mean tasteless!
What you’ll need
- A shallow pan: MasterClass 4L Cast Aluminium Shallow Casserole Dish - Lavender
- A mixing spoon: KitchenCraft Beech Wood 30cm Spoon
- A baking dish: Home Made Glass 500ml Preserving Jar
- 350g Dried macaroni
- 1/2 Cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp salt for cooking the pasta
- 2 tbsp Plant based butter (I use Vitalite)
- 3 tbsp Pain flour
- 300ml Vegetable stock
- 200ml Plant based milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 250g vegan/plant based smoked cheese
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 25g Cashew nuts chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Place the pasta into a large pan of salted boiling water.
Meanwhile melt the margarine in a sauce pan.
Add the flour and stir together.
Cook the mixture on a low heat for 1-2 minutes to cook out the flour.
Pour in the vegetable stock a little at a time until it is fully combined
Do the same with the plant based milk, then add the mustard and grated cheese.
Stir the sauce on a low heat until the cheese has melted, then remove from the heat.
When the pasta is cooked lift out from the water and place in a large oven proof dish.
Using the same pasta water cook the cauliflower for 3-4 minutes.
When the cauliflower is cooked remove from the water and add to the pasta.
Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta.
Mix together the remaining oil, cashew nuts and breadcrumbs before scattering over the top of the pasta.
Bake the mac and cheese in the oven for 15 minutes at 180c or until golden.